So you have decided that you need to lease a storage container. Many questions are probably arising… How much does a shipping container cost? Where can you rent a shipping container? How do you lease a shipping container? How big are shipping containers? Where can I find the best shipping container prices? As when renting anything, there are things to consider.
The first thing you should ask yourself about mobile storage containers for rent: Do I want a new or used shipping container? Both offer positives and negatives. A new container is usually referred to as a one-trip container. Its one-trip is the transport from the manufacturer to our Pac-Van office. These will be in nearly perfect condition with very little wear and tear. These will be tested wind and watertight, freshly painted, and ready to be used. These, of course, are going to be more expensive than a used container. When looking at used containers, there are a number of different types you can find. Some of the commonly used containers will be known as used containers, refurbished containers, cargo-worthy containers, and “as is” containers. Each of these will have been used on past jobs and will likely have some noticeable wear and tear. However, that does not mean they are not solid units.
When looking at any of the used containers, pay close attention to the condition of the unit. Here are some specific items you should examine.
- Doors – Do they open and close easily? The doors are the parts of the container that get used the most. Are they in good shape? Do you see any noticeable dents or holes?
- Lock – Another very important piece for safety. Make sure the locking mechanism is in working order, and you understand how to use it.
- Floor – Most containers are built with a thick marine wood floor. This is a great type of material for all the activity that will be done inside a container. Whether it has something heavy sitting on it for a long period of time or have a forklift rolling all over it, the marine wood floor should hold up. Check for large cracks in the wood and in the corners.
- Roof – This is obviously important for keeping your items safe from the outside elements. Walk into the container and make sure no light is shining inside, which would be an indicator of a hole in the roof that could let in wind, water, and/or rodents.
- Walls – The walls are also what help to keep your items safe. Don’t only look for holes, but also for rust and major dents.
Another consideration is the size of the shipping container. How big is the location on which you plan on putting the storage container? Pac-Van offers standard containers of 20’ and 40’ in length, 8’ wide and 8.6’ in height. We also have access to “high cube” containers which are the same size, but after one additional foot in height, making it 9.6’ tall. Some of our locations can also help if you have a unique size need. For example, in some areas, we supply 16’ and 24’ containers too.
The last thing to consider is how are you going to get it to your location? Many Pac-Van locations have their own trucks to deliver, but some use an outside transportation company. While you may make arrangements to have the container moved, Pac-Van can certainly assist with this too.
As we have mentioned, as with leasing anything, there are many things you should consider before renting a shipping container. You should know if you want new or used, what size you need, and should always inspect the container in person. A representative from Pac-Van would be happy to discuss your needs and find the perfect storage container for your needs. Contact us today!